PUBLIC SAFETY SYSTEMS SPECIALIST - THIS ROLE IS IT FOR ELGIN POLICE DEPARTMENT
Serves as the technical liaison between city departments and assists the systems technology unit supervisor in the management of all technology and communications related systems. Performs technical duties related to the operations of the public safety technology, police and fire data systems, mobile devices, cameras, cellular telephones, etc.
This position works closely with city information technology services (ITS) and other city departments to accomplish the overall technological objectives of the city and the department.
IF YOU WORK WITH US, YOU'LL:
- Provide preventive maintenance of the physical and virtual servers and related systems; Resolve server operating system errors; Ensure proper storage area network operation and resolve issues related to the 911 system, and fire station alerting.
- Provide systems and applications troubleshooting and maintenance. Assist public safety personnel with issues and communicate resolutions to other staff.
- Assist in research and facilitates procurement of technology; prepare bid specifications for vendors and review vendor responses; prepare and assist with city council memos, and network with budget analyst to ensure payment to vendors.
- Maintain phone and air cards for city departments and repair, replace and troubleshoot issues.
- Provide PC and laptop maintenance; imaging; repair, replace and troubleshoot issues and provide user support.
- Assist the systems technology unit supervisor and senior management analyst in coordinating the CAD and LERMS database processes and procedures at the system and workstation levels; formulate MSSQL database queries for ad-hoc reports, interfaces, and other third-party integrations.
- Assists the systems technology unit senior management analyst in making corrections to the CAD geofile database; configure and maintain CAD and LERMS system dynamic options settings based on user needs and changes.
- Assist the systems technology unit supervisor in coordinating and resolving interface and technical issues between public safety systems.
- Assist the systems technology unit supervisor in coordinating system maintenance, upgrades, and enhancements for all public safety systems; review upgrades and enhancements prior to installation to determine the potential impact on network and system users and where possible provide a path to rollback changes in the event of unforeseen problems.
- Assist the systems technology unit supervisor in maintaining and updating all software licensing and documentation of computers and assists with the inventory control process of department resources.
- Assists the systems technology unit supervisor in monitoring and performing daily, weekly, monthly and yearly backups and/or replications off site.
- Works with other city departments on technology-based projects in furtherance of the overall technology objectives of the city.
- Completes special projects as assigned by the systems technology unit supervisor.
- Ability to interact with management personnel to identify, prioritize and implement system functionality.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess critical thinking skills and an aptitude for troubleshooting issues without supervision.
- Thorough familiarity with progressive police management procedures, methods, and techniques.
- Ability to make critical decisions in stressful circumstances given the knowledge of the systems to ensure continuity of services.
- Can attain a comprehensive knowledge of the operation, principals, and practices of a NG911 Police/Fire/EMS Emergency Communications Center and operations.
- Able to work unusual or prolonged hours during emergency situations, and both accessible and responsive after hours.
- Extensive and demonstrative knowledge of computer applications and ability to utilize law enforcement data systems.
- The list of functions is not all inclusive. Duties may occasionally be deleted, or additional duties may be assigned permanently or temporarily, to accomplish department and city objectives.
- High school graduate or completion of G.E.D.
- Technical training and/or work experience. See the posting at www.cityofelgin.org/jobs for kinds that we work with.
- That you pass the background process.