The Public Action to Deliver Shelter (PADS) of Elgin program provides emergency overnight, first-come, first serve shelter for homeless men, women and children, 365 days a year. The doors open each night at 7 PM and all guests leave by 7 AM each morning.
PADS employs on-site coordinators to oversee shelter operations. We are currently seeking a motivated and compassionate individual to work the 6:00-11:30 PM shift three nights per week that will include some weekend shifts.
Each site coordinator is in charge of the shelter while working and will provide oversight of the guests, volunteers, coordination of meals and maintenance of the supplies.
- Complete intake when required. Refer intake to Case Manager whenever possible.
- Secure all guest medications in locked drug cabinet.
- To have the primary responsibility for the daily registration of all guests.
- To immediately refer all guests who appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol to a case manager.
- To be sure the milk, juice and cereal needed for breakfast is available.
- To prepare all evening meals as needed or assist volunteers in preparing/serving a donated meal.
- To determine quickly what kind of action might need to be taken should a guest appear to be ill or acting strangely.
- To direct the work of the volunteers so that all volunteers are involved in making the program work and to report any potential volunteer concerns to the Volunteer Coordinator or Site Supervisor.
- To know and consistently enforce rules and to promptly report all special situations to the Site Supervisor.
- To document all incidents in an incident report and in the site coordinator binder.
- To attend scheduled coordinator meetings.
- To check the indoor shelter for general cleanliness and to have the exterior surroundings checked for general litter each day.
Must be able to make decisions quickly, be able to multi-task, be a team player and treat all guests with dignity and respect. Bilingual candidate preferred.